In Which I Love All the Holidays!

Tuesday, March 18, 2014

I really like holidays. A lot. Holidays, birthdays, any excuse for a celebration, activate an illogical part of my brain that immediately takes over and demands a PARTY, STAT!

Part of it is because cooking and baking and playing with themes is just really fun. Fun in a way that benefits the rest of the family, so I'm less likely to put it aside. It's a sad truth that if I enjoy something but can't justify it as productive or beneficial to others, I'm probably not going to make time for it. *cough*  writing *cough*

Part of it, I suspect, is a love language sort of motivation. Especially with the students, because I want them to feel loved, but it's pretty rare for me to say I love them. So. Have a cookie, champ!

Another aspect is that I want my babies to experience a little magic. I want their childhood to be well-dosed with wonder and mystery and imagination. Leprechauns turn our milk green and leave a pot of treasure at the end of a rainbow for us to find, and no further proof is needed that the world is full of beauty and adventure if you are preschool-aged.

I also love the idea that we can convey tradition and predictability by celebrating holidays. Which is Dr. Flint's idea, not mine, but I've taken to using it as justification when Aaron fusses at me for overdoing things and wearing myself out. "I'm not going overboard! I'm providing the children with a foundation for emotional stability and a sense of connection and security in their world! Give me back my hot glue gun!"

So I make black-eyed peas for New Years Day, and corned beef and cabbage for St. Patrick's, and I have an entire closet devoted to storage tubs for each season and holiday. And if I was completely exhausted by the time I served the guys some Irish soda bread hot out of the oven last night, it was a good exhausted. And if it's silly and trivial of me to waste time and resources on foolish things like green stick-on mustaches (no, wait, bad example. Green stick-on mustaches are obviously NEVER a waste) and Lucky Charms parfaits, well, I don't actually mind being silly and trivial! I kind of just go with it! And if you're looking for a nice, satisfying conversation about the pagan origins of most holidays, or greeting card and candy company conspiracies, then I'm afraid I'm not your girl, sorry. I'll be too busy planning this year's Easter egg hunt/ Phoebe's first birthday party combination extravaganza. This might just be the year that I learn to make a fondant bunny!



(Not pictured: various boys in crazy green wigs and 'staches. They were remarkably difficult to photograph, for some reason!)

5 comments:

  1. So then, "overboard" is a love language? Right. Got it. Just kidding, I love that you do that for your family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am all about childhood magic and whimsy. My mom always made a huge deal of every holiday, a tradition I hope to continue. No such thing as too silly or trivial! Imagination is a terrible thing to waste ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am all about childhood magic and whimsy. My mom always made a huge deal of every holiday, a tradition I hope to continue. No such thing as too silly or trivial! Imagination is a terrible thing to waste ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. How fun! I made corned beef, too, but ran out of steam for the soda bread. I think I'll bake it today! :) And you are so right about the green mustaches!

    ReplyDelete

Proudly designed by Mlekoshi playground