In Which I Say Hi There

Saturday, March 8, 2014

Next week is Spring Break, so all of our boys are back at their homes right now. You wouldn't think that a house with three little girls five and under could feel quiet, but somehow it always does feel that way on the rare occasions when all of our guys are gone.

Apparently my brain has been waiting for this (completely inaccurate) impression of peace and quiet to have one of those ideas that seem Just! Completely! Brilliant! because about halfway through the morning yesterday, I realized that I needed to make this blog. Once upon a time, I had a personal blog that I loved writing, but I always felt that I should keep it strictly free of any school-related things. Over the past, what, two years? It has become increasingly impossible to separate my personal family and our life from school and students, though.

Two boys board with us full-time, all official and everything. Like a boarding school! Only our house is a few minutes away from the school! Quite a few others (mostly guys from Aaron's varsity team, but not exclusively) crash here pretty frequently. It is maddeningly unpredictable and beautifully chaotic. Our baby girls are growing up with an army of adoring big brothers, the boys have a safe place to find both camaraderie and boundaries, my husband has a pack to lead, and I have a front-row seat to watch it all gloriously unfold. The cost of my ticket is a lot of square footage in my little house, and frequent batches of banana bread, which is pretty cheap considering that I can't think of anything more poetic and hilarious and heartbreaking than this funny, pieced-together family.

And so, this blog. Because the need to document and share all of this madness is too strong to ignore. I know people are sometimes curious about what we're doing, and why we're doing it, and HOW ON EARTH we're doing it. The short answer is, there is no short answer. My go-to answer for those questions is usually something like, "Yeah, I don't know, we're clearly insane." Which isn't entirely inaccurate, but probably doesn't answer the question satisfactorily. That's why I loved the idea of this blog. I really can't tell you the what and why and how of our family, but I think maybe I can show you, bit by bit and post by post. Babies, preschoolers, teenagers, home, school, my own random thoughts, basketball, how much I love my husband, silly things, books, dance recitals, recipes, all of it mixed up together. Because life doesn't stay in tidy little compartments and categories, it weaves and tangles and mingles into one ridiculous, beautiful mess. Which is pretty great, actually, once we embrace it.



5 comments:

  1. Yay for new blog, and for openness, and I'm happy to *really& meet you Nicole! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love, love, love this! It's wonderful to officially meet you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay! So glad you're back to blogging and I can see everyone's names! Woo!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have often wondered how you do it! I'm looking forward to following your adventures here. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay! I've missed your blogging! I can't wait to read more about everything!

    ReplyDelete

Proudly designed by Mlekoshi playground