In Which We Have an Adventure

Monday, March 10, 2014

Kim and Dan (Aaron's parents, for those of you who don't know) spent the night at our house with all the girls on Saturday so Aaron could whisk me away to Austin for an overnight trip. An overnight trip to see Wicked. That right there is probably all I need to say to express the awesomeness that was this weekend.

I know it probably sounds a little spoiled and unnecessary, and maybe it is. Probably it is. Buuuuut it also is not. We hardly ever have any time just the two of us, and usually that time consists of staying up later than all of the kids to watch Netflix and snuggle. Which is a pretty great way to spend an evening, actually! I still think it's awfully valuable, though, to get completely away sometimes.

We got to roadtrip it for three whole hours together, just Aaron and I, his killer playlist, and whatever conversations we felt like having. We got to check into a nice hotel. I got to get dressed up (which is a RARE opportunity) and then we got to explore downtown Austin together for a few hours, in the rain. And it could have been annoying, since it was rainy and cold and we didn't know where to go, but instead it was an adventure because we were together and we didn't have to worry about anyone else. When it started to rain really hard, I pulled Aaron into the first restaurant I spotted, and then was beyond charmed with the crystal chandeliers, actual stuffed bear, and Russian decor and food. And they were handing out roses in honor of International Woman's Day, so free rose!. We ate all the desserts we could hold, and then splashed back to Aaron's truck, with him holding his jacket over my head so my hair wouldn't be ruined, and I was pretty much convinced that we had wandered into a Zooey Deschanel movie. Plus, I've only been dying to see Wicked since my senior year of college, and it was, incredibly, even better than I could have imagined.

"I love that you treat me like this." I told him as we drove home the next morning.

"Like what?"

"Like we're dating and you're trying to make sure that I'll want to marry you."

"Oh, always, babe."

And that's the heart of it, really, the center that this whole family revolves around. Sometimes Aaron has some of the boys with him at the store when he's buying flowers to cheer me up, and he tells them how important it is to buy flowers for your girl and make her feel loved, and it's pretty obvious how this love benefits the whole family. Other times it's less obvious, but still tangible, I think. We couldn't take care of anyone, I especially couldn't take care of anyone, if we didn't nurture our romance. It all starts at our one heart and radiates outwards, coloring everything.













5 comments:

  1. Aww...you guys are so sweet, I want to melt!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love how I can count on you to want to melt, instead of wanting to vomit, when I get all warm and fuzzy about marriage! :)

      Delete
  2. What a fun weekend! I have wanted to see Wicked for a while, but haven't made it yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is SO good. I didn't actually like the book at all, but I've loved the soundtrack to the play for years.

      Delete

Proudly designed by Mlekoshi playground