Snapshot

Monday, April 7, 2014

He is sixteen, but he looks like an angry, grown man. He's yelled at two teachers already today, and he's not particularly happy with me for suggesting he do his homework before he leaves school for the day. "It's an easy one this weekend," I point out. "Just an illustration of something we read about this week."

She is three and a half and she comes flying up to hug me and tell me about her day. Midway through her sentence she spies him hanging back in the hallway and her smile deepens. "That's my friend! Mama! He's my friend!" She waves enthusiastically, and his smile lights up, genuine and bright.

"Can you help your friend? He has to draw a picture and he needs help." I say. Her eyes widen.
"Help him draw a picture?"
I nod, and she takes off, grabbing him by the hand and pulling him to my classroom. They sit at my table, heads bent together over blank sheets of paper, and I keep out of the way. She chatters away, drawing her picture and drawing him in. In just a few minutes he has completed his assignment, beautifully.

People wonder and worry about us having all these teenagers around our babies, but I can count on one hand the times I've had to snap out a fierce, "Don't you ever say that around my girls." Most of those times, I was drowned out by the wrath of the other boys. But all the times like this, where I've watched innocence and sweetness prevail and be cherished...I can't even begin to count.


3 comments:

  1. And it's examples like this why you do this. You know the boys probably love having your girls arrive around just as much as the girls love having the boys!

    ReplyDelete

Proudly designed by Mlekoshi playground