Quick Takes: Inigo Montoya Edition

Friday, June 6, 2014

1.
Aaron signed his team up for a summer basketball league, and they had their first two games last week. Basktball season never actually ends around here, you know. They won both of those games, but I guess this didn't sit well with one of the other coaches, who chewed Aaron out after a game. I can grant him that he's a coach, and as a breed, they tend to not like losing or whatever. BUT he said "Honestly, Coach, what are you even doing for your guys?" So it's really hard for me to try looking at things from his perspective.

2.
Excuse me? What is he even doing? What? I can't even. The list of things he does for his guys, above and beyond what most coaches would do (and let's be honest, above and beyond what most coaches wives would LET them do) is so long that I literally can't think of where to start. I wasn't there for this conversation, but I certainly will contrive to be there next time we play them. I have a whole big piece of my mind ready to give to this dude, although we all know that's not going to actually happen. I can mentally compose some KILLER tirades, but in reality? It'll go down like this:

"Hello. My name is Nicole Hallford. You insulted my husband. Prepare to be given dirty looks that you may or may not notice from across the gym."

Because I'm so feisty like that.

3.
Our summer camp program starts on Monday, so I've used this week to get some unwieldy sorts of projects accomplished without bothering with any kind of a schedule. It would drive me crazy long-term, but it's been nice for this week. The guys replaced some broken boards in the deck, I re-stained the entire deck, I painted one of the dorm rooms, they steam cleaned the carpet and re-organized the dorms. We're all helping Kim, Aaron's mom, with a big garage sale. That kind of thing. Projects that have been nagging the back of my mind for quite a while now, but were obviously not priorities during our whirlwind spring semester. Getting them taken care of feels good!

4.
I've had a lot of fun picking out books for everyone's summer reading. Books we wouldn't study during the school year because they aren't strictly classics, but are wonderful stories nonetheless. Harry Potter, Ender's Game, A Wrinkle in Time, The Giver, etc. I can't wait! I chose Mr. Popper's Penguins to read aloud to the girls, partly because they're going to dig anything with penguins, but mostly because I wanted to read it again.

5.
Planning individualized summer lessons for the age range that we have has been really fun in general, actually. They literally go from preschoolers to seniors in high school, with some middle schoolers thrown in for good measure. That's the kind of challenge I can sink my teeth into! I'm excited to see how this first week goes, so I can find out where to adjust and tweak things.

6.
One of my less-fun tasks yesterday was to call a locksmith. We've built in three-quarters of our garage to make the dorm rooms for the boys, and the last quarter we left as storage space. When I called the locksmith yesterday I explained this, then told him that we had lost the key to the exterior garage door and needed someone to come out and unlock it. "Ma'am, ma'am!" He snapped impatiently. "Just go into the garage through the interior door!"
Smack. My. Head. The conversation actually continued along this vein for quite some time before I PROMISED him that there really was no other way of getting into the garage. He was still skeptical, and when he finally arrived, he pulled Aaron aside to make sure I knew what I was talking about before he started drilling. Phhfft.

7.
And now it's just about time to run over to Kim's house to help with her garage sale. Which I'm pretty happy about because it SOUNDS like work, but is really mostly just hanging out with one of the most wonderful people that I know. And getting rid of stuff! If my kids will stop trying to reclaim everything in sight!


More Quick Takes here!

3 comments:

  1. 1. That coach's commented infuriated ME. If he only knew! What a careless thing to say. 2. Yay, for productivity! Although it appears that you don't really know how to function any other way ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. First of all, I love you. Second of all, that's right, you death-stare that malignant swine down to the ground! Third, Harry Potter and Popper's Penguins; did I tell you thati love you, yet??

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't you just hate it when you NEED to give someone a piece of you mind because they NEED to hear it, and you can't? Grr!

    ReplyDelete

Proudly designed by Mlekoshi playground