So Far, So Good!

Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Awesome first day of summer camp!
(Is that even the right thing to call it? I go back and forth between that and summer school, but we only do academics for part of the day, and the other stuff is more...campy. And camp sounds more fun, let's be honest. Summer camp it is!)

I had to laugh when my carefully crafted schedule got turned upside down by 10:15 in the morning, because really, what else did I expect? I got the guys fed and out the door for the basketball camp that Aaron is running, but I had just pulled out the girls' phonics books when he called and asked me to bring Avalon to the gym. Some of her friends were there and he decided that she would be able to do most of the drills he had planned. So I threw everyone in the van and dropped her off. Lainey could have stayed at the gym, but she didn't want to. I think she really relished having some time with me more to herself. We went ahead with my pre-k lessons without Avalon...counting, phonics, French vocab, storytime, and the main attraction, baking a lemon-ginger cake. All while Phoebe threw fabric strawberries at us.





Then we made lunch for everyone, and good thing I made big sandwiches, because Aaron (and really, I should have seen this coming) brought a bunch of extra boys back with him. Cut those sammies in half and there, everyone's fed. Crisis averted.


(This is why I have to run the dishwasher three time a day around here.)

After lunch, Phoebe went down for her nap, the big girls watched an episode of Magic Schoolbus in my room before their nap, and the boys did their schoolwork. Independent reading, oral narration and discussion, and then a creative writing assignment. I expected a lot of complaining, but they just chilled in the living room and got it done. They're such good boys!





Scotty got an unexpected chance to go to Six Flags for the afternoon with Flint's wonderful Mr. Collum, resulting in some of the most awesome roller-coaster pics EVER.



The other boys had a significantly less fun time loading some boxes in a storage unit for Kim. Avalon wanted to go to their summer league game that evening, and Kim kindly agreed to come over and stay with Lainey (who again, most emphatically did NOT want to go anywhere) and Phoebe so I could keep an eye on Avalon at the game. I put together a lasagna during naptime so it could be ready when we got back from the game, so it all worked out EVEN THOUGH it was not in my plan for the day.

Avalon was more interested in what was going on in the game than she has been in the past, which is good because Aaron wants her for an assistant coach. The boys just behave better when the little girls are around, and also, he's always been crazy about that little girl from Remember the Titans. Teaching our girls to talk sports trash to his players has kind of been one of his main goals in life! So she and I sat on the bench and discussed the game, but we also discussed art, fashion, and grasshoppers. You gotta have balance in life.



After the game (which we won...by so much that I was cheering for the other team when they made a shot) we went back home and had lasagna and cake. Sugar free, gluten free, carb free cake, Trim Healthy Mama style, that was a source of much contention because there wasn't enough of it. I didn't have a piece, but I stole a bit of Aaron's and it didn't taste, you know, everything-free. Nobody guessed until I told them, so that's good! The girls got to stay up late and eat their share of cake, then I tucked them in with the first two chapters of Mr. Popper's Penguins and a lengthy discussion of the merits of the North Pole vs. the South Pole.


We convinced Mr. Collum to stay for dinner, and a rousing game of Farkle after the boys did their evening chores. I was cracking up at the boys' various dice-shaking and risk-taking styles, but I had to bow out after ten o'clock because I couldn't keep my eyes open any longer!




It was a pretty fantastic day, and I hope it sets the tone for the rest of the summer. Although, I'd be okay with not getting up at four thirty every day, and being able to stay awake to enjoy everyone's company a little longer in the evenings!



8 comments:

  1. Ha! Yes, 4:30 is too early to get up, but I've done that before due to a couple of little girls. ;) Sounds like your summer is off to a great start!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does happen, doesn't it? I don't mind, as long as it's not every day!

      Delete
  2. OMG you must do a lot of dishes, but i'm glad you use real instead of paper!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! That would be SO many paper plates in the trash each day! And...I don't know, real plates make the meal seem more substantial. Or something.

      Delete
  3. That sounds like an awesome day, but I think it would be exhausting every day to get up that early and do that much running.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For sure - I need at LEAST the extra hour that I usually get. It makes a huge difference!

      Delete
  4. certainly sounds like summer is starting off with lots of great fun! have a wonderful summer camp!

    ReplyDelete

Proudly designed by Mlekoshi playground