Beef and Spinach Casserole

Tuesday, July 8, 2014

My poor guys, I keep using them as guinea pigs, experimenting with so many new recipes. I'm not even sure that they're good test subjects since they'll eat anything and they don't want to do anything that might stop me from making desserts hurt my feelings.

Last night I switched a few ingredients around to convert a normal quiche recipe to THM, then told everyone it was a casserole because Aaron doesn't like quiche and I'm sneaky like that. It was super easy, and I think I'll be trolling Pinterest for more quiche recipes in the future. I need to have a huge variety of casseroles (and "casseroles") in my repertoire. They feed the thundering herd nicely and can be made up ahead of time, two vitally important qualifications around here.

I started with this recipe and left out the crust altogether. I used ground beef instead of turkey...spicy sausage would be good too, I think...and heavy cream instead of milk. I also had to bake it longer than the original recipe calls for, but that might just be because my oven is temperamental. There's a THM-ified breakfast casserole recipe that I've been using that has a little ground flax seed added to thicken it up, so I think I'll try that next time. But really, that was all I had to do to make it a Trim Healthy Mama S meal! Quick and simple, and it could easily be doubled. We only had two boys here for dinner last night so this was enough. Not leftovers-enough, but that hardly ever happens anyway. With a side salad and some lemon-butter cake, we were good! 



(I'm brainstorming ways to make this a fuel-pull meal...egg whites instead of eggs, plain almond milk instead of cream, ground turkey or chicken...all possible until I get to the cheese on top. We really, really like our cheese around here! And in great, vast quantities! I could maybe get away with using a small amount of low-fat mozzarella. MAYBE. It would be risky. I'm going to go eat a big piece of the lemon-butter cake for breakfast and think about it.)




3 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing! I agree that spicy sausage would be wonderful in this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha! I love the call it a "casserole" trick.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks delicious! Thank you so much for linking up at Tasty Tuesday! Your recipe has been pinned to the Tasty Tuesday Pinterest board! Please join us again this week!

    ReplyDelete

Proudly designed by Mlekoshi playground