Weekend Wrap-Up

Monday, July 21, 2014

So I'm not really sure what happened to July in Texas this past weekend...it felt like fall here. It was in the sixties during the middle of the day! It was weird, but we loved it, and there wasn't much resistance to my Stay Outside All Day While We Can agenda.

On Friday (after playing outside all day, naturally) we all spent a long evening at the school. Aaron and the boys tore down the old play structure and the girls played on all of the new stuff that was installed last year.





So, that was fun! The girls were all tired out afterwards, but the boys wanted a Catan re-match, so we stayed up pretty late.



Saturday morning I made a Whole Foods run with my mom, and then we stopped at MANY yard sales and estate sales on our way back. The Arlington Historical Society was even having a sale, which nearly killed me. All the old vintage stuff! There was a spinning wheel and a printing press, and old typewriters! I want an old-timey typewriter for my classroom SO BADLY, but these weren't cheap enough that I could justify getting one, alas. It was fun poking through all the old stuff, though!




Much of Saturday afternoon was spent like this... the girls took an extra-long nap (again worn out from playing outside) and Aaron killed some video games while I brushed up on the first four books of the Iliad in preparation for next week's retreat.


Agamemnon was getting on my nerves and I kept complaining about him until Aaron reminded me that the Agamemnon character in Mr. Peabody and Sherman was voiced by Patrick Warburton. You know, Kronk from The Emperor's New Groove? The guy who basically has the most hilariously wonderful voice EVER? I heard all of Agamemnon's lines in his voice after that, and it was awesome!


RIGHT? No way Achilleus could have stayed mad at him if he had sounded like that!


On Sunday we did church and then lunch. It was nice enough that we opted for the patio, which always makes it somehow easier to have that many tinies at a restaurant. I'm not sure why, but it does.








This last one is actually a picture of a life lesson. Aaron was going to order something for the girls to share, since they rarely eat much at one sitting. But Avalon really wanted a corn dog and she PROMISED she would eat it all if he ordered her her own meal. The word "promise" has really been misused around here lately. Aaron ordered the meal that she wanted, but with the understanding that promise means you have to do what you say.

Guess who didn't want to eat her corn dog after two bites, because Daddy's tortillas looked more delicious?

We had a long family discussion about not promising things that you aren't going to fulfill, and why people need to be able to count on you to stand by your word. And she ate her whole corn dog after all!

4 comments:

  1. Those typewriters are gorgeous!

    P.S. I love your Mama lesson for the day- I'm going to have to bookmark that one ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. We were in Texas last week visiting family and it was blazing hot till the day we left when there were a bunch of bad storms. Glad the weather cooled down for yoy. Thanks for visiting my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We were in Texas last week visiting family and it was blazing hot till the day we left when there were a bunch of bad storms. Glad the weather cooled down for yoy. Thanks for visiting my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We were in Texas last week visiting family and it was blazing hot till the day we left when there were a bunch of bad storms. Glad the weather cooled down for yoy. Thanks for visiting my blog!

    ReplyDelete

Proudly designed by Mlekoshi playground