Quick Takes

Friday, August 15, 2014

1. Remember that one time? When I thought that next week was teacher in-service week and I nearly killed myself trying to fit about five thousand getting-the-house-ready-to-put-on-the-market projects around a bunch of Avalon's theatre camp performances and all of the random stuff that still needed catching up after being gone for a week? So there were MORE THAN A FEW days where I was running on caffeine and stubbornness and three hours of sleep? And then on Thursday afternoon I realized that I actually have an ENTIRE WEEK more than I thought before in-service? Ha! Classic Nicole, right? Good times!

2. I'm beginning to suspect that my brain is actively out to get me.

On the bright side, though, we got a lot accomplished! I have only ONE thing left on my to-do list for the house (wash all the walls and baseboards and trim. No wonder I left that one for last) and a few things to motivate my guys to finish (deal with those shifting piles of personal belongings or I will throw everything away and I won't even be a little bit sorry) and I think we can make my goal of getting the house officially on the market this weekend! I have no idea what to do with next week, but I am QUITE sure that my brain will come up with some sort of hideously time-consuming project. Or ten.

3. One of our boys moved out last week and is moving into his college dorm tomorrow. It's...bittersweet. We're proud of him, and excited for him, but we miss our Scotty! You wouldn't think so from the lighting speed with which we turned his room into an office, but it's just better staging. And also, an office! We do miss him, though, especially the girls, who have been needing long discussions about growing up and going to college and how that's just a normal part of life. They get it, but they were sad to see their brother go. He's been with us for more than two years, after all.

4. At least he finally had a Catan victory the night before he left! We couldn't decide if it was a good omen or a right of passage.
He's a MAN now!

5. Don't think that you're going to get out of hearing about Avalon's play, which was ADORABLE and she was FANTASTIC and BEAUTIFUL and etc.!


She had a dress rehearsal and three performances this week, so we spent the majority of our mornings on hair, makeup, and shows. It was exhilarating for her - not one bit of stage fright in this child! "THAT WAS TERRIFIC! Was I awesome? I was AWESOME!" quoth she - and a nice chance for the two of us to spend some extra one-on-one time together. Bonding over eyeliner, belting out the ensemble songs on the way to the theater, that kind of thing. 

6. She was cast as Flower #2, and had TWO lines (which she only mixed up the order of once!) and got to sing (loudly!) in several songs and do a little ballet number with the other flowers. I've been feeling so proud of how hard she worked, how quickly she memorized the lines and songs, and the amazing attitude she's had about everything! 



7. It was fun for the rest of the family, too, getting to go watch the shows. Lainey has decided that she wants to be in a play next time (she was too young for this year's camp) and Phoebe, who is not in a stage where she'll sit quietly for ANY length of time, watched each performance in entranced silence. Aaron's mom and my mom, and Dr. Flint, and Gran all came to see the show, as did a bunch of the boys. I LOVE that my big tough boys voluntarily come to children's musical theatre at ten in the morning to support their little sister. Bernachi even came to see it twice!



We admittedly look a bit confusing, but this family is beautiful, if you ask me.





2 comments:

  1. As always, such a beautiful family. What wonderful big brothers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww, definitely a very beautiful family! I laughed about your first take; I've had dreams like that, but I've never done it in real life. I hope you enjoy your "bonus" week!

    ReplyDelete

Proudly designed by Mlekoshi playground