The Evanescent Arts

Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Simmering sauce always makes me feel contemplative. The kitchen gets all warm and fragrant, and my thoughts get all calm and abstract. If tomato-y stuff didn't give Aaron heartburn, I would make red sauce for every single meal and be a philosopher, I'm fairly certain.


If I were a writer, I would have pages of words to show for my work at the end of the day, I thought. If I were an artist there would be canvases. If I were a builder there would be houses. So many professions create tangible products, and nearly everything I spend my time on disappears almost immediately. The meals are eaten, the order is disordered, the books are closed, the conversations are set aside, most likely forgotten. I've used all of my energy by the end of the day, but with little to physically show for it.

Teaching and mothering are by and large, I think, evanescent arts. You can only perceive the tangible results for a tiny second before they vanish. 

But I think that they end up mattering quite a lot down the road, even if we never see or think of them again.





1 comment:

  1. perfectly said!!! but really, as intangible as it may seem... what we do is the most important of all!

    ReplyDelete

Proudly designed by Mlekoshi playground