Quick Takes

Friday, May 8, 2015

1. Last night, after the kids were in bed and the dishes done, Aaron and I slipped out of the house (oh, how we love this living arrangement that lets us slip out of the house after bedtime!) and went to a late movie. Just spur of the moment, just because. It stormed a lot while we were in the theater, and when we got out of the movie the parking lot was a maze of little rivers that Aaron carried me over to save my shoes. It's little moments like this that put things into perspective for me when I'm feeling overwhelmed or inadequate facing All The Things. Because first and foremost, this is a love story, a great big epic life-long grand romance...everything else is sub-plot. Vital and beautiful and compelling sub-plot, most of it, but it's important to remember that none of it would exist without the love story. 

2. My advanced lit class is finishing up the year with Fahrenheit 451, and you never saw such riveted students. Bradbury had them at the Seashell earbud things that everyone wore (that hit uncomfortably close to home!) and he's not letting them go, squirm as they might. I love it.

3. Avalon and Lainey received their dance recital costumes yesterday and I am crazy about them! Their class is doing a tap routine to Jailhouse Rock, so they have these little con outfits that we will most definitely be re-using for one of our many Halloween excursions later in the year.

4. I'm dying inside a little, though, because I found out this week that the senior trip had to be re-scheduled and we will be gone during the recital. As in, not there. As in, scarring my children for life with my absence. So far approximately two people have understood how far down into the depths of despair this fact plunges me. Which is VERY, VERY FAR INDEED. I feel like the worst, most horrible mother ever in the world, and understanding logically that that is a clear exaggeration doesn't really lessen the feeling by much. It's just...not how I want things to BE, and I can't control it or change it or teleport or anything

5. A lovely fellow teacher gave me some fantastic advice, though. Following her suggestion, I am going to put together some sparkly, elaborate, silly, wish-I-was-there gift boxes for the girls to open on Recital Day. Hopefully that will make me feel a little less like flinging myself from the cruise ship and swimming home.

6. Definitely possibly related, I have been making up lots of comfort food lately. I'm obsessed with mixing almond flour with melted butter and browning it for a little while to make a crumble crust. Soooooo yummy. I've been putting it on top of frozen berries and cream and xylitol for a kind of cobbler, but this week I used it to top off a no-carb chicken pot pie. Just exactly what you want on stormy, angsty days.



7.  We seem to have lots more stormy days coming up (hopefully they won't also be angsty) but it isn't supposed to rain for a few more hours today and I think I'll take the girls to the pool, gloomy clouds or no. The day just seems to go better when we spend part of it outside.





link-up!
link up!

link up!

3 comments:

  1. The day IS better when part of it is outside! We've been so rainy here that it's not even possible to get outside, and I have cabin fever setting in BAD. I may actually get my house clean this weekend, but who even cares?

    Personally, I have never once been overdramatic, but I hear you. How can they possibly schedule the recital and the trip at the same time? How is it possible that the universe does not understand that it is not acceptable to miss stuff like this?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just reread Fahrenheit 451 a couple of years ago, and it is so good! I remember thinking I didn't want it to end.

    The gift boxes sound perfect. I know your girls will understand, even though they're little!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Slipping out to a late movie is always so much fun!!! Chelsea @ thewilliamsjourney1.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Proudly designed by Mlekoshi playground