Weekend Wrap-Up

Monday, June 8, 2015



One of the (sadly few) things I've learned in the past couple of years is that while summer will be more enjoyable for us all if there is still some semblance of a routine, the routine will only last a week or two at best if it doesn't get some regular variety. This summer we're sticking with the Flint Monday-through-Thursday thing (because it's awesome!) for our regular schedule, which is mostly composed of swimming, reading lessons, and small-ish arts and crafts type projects. Then so we don't get sick of that, we totally change things up on Friday and have a cheap and fun kind of outing. I planned a really simple one for this week since we were still getting settled in to a routine, and anyway, it's better to do the outside stuff earlier in the summer because later it will be too hot to even think about playing outside!

First we stopped for snow cones. Annie's is the best!


Then we took our treats to a nearby park and fed the ducks.




One of the things on my summer list is to get the girls some sketchbooks and have them keep journals. Only I haven't started that yet, or mentioned it at all. Avalon snagged this sketchbook when she was helping Aaron clean his classroom, and then asked if she could bring it to draw pictures of the ducks. She is clearly either a mind reader or a reincarnation of Charlotte Mason, I'm not sure which.


We also brought along a kite, even though it wasn't very windy OR very free from trees where we were playing. Unimportant details don't bother us!



Later we crashed HARD for naptime, then rallied to hang out at Veteran's Park while some of the guys threw around a football.




By the end of the day they were all filthy and exhausted and happy. After a quick (and very necessary!) bath I let the big girls eat a bowl of popcorn and watch a movie, because hey, it's summer!

Saturday is my day to work at the school, so I spent it thoroughly cleaning and organizing the poor art room. The girls hung out with Aaron all day and I'm not entirely sure what they did all day, but it involved playing a lot of Trouble and eating a lot of food that generated crumbs all over the family room. So probably it was a fun day! I stayed really late at the school, but got home in time for us to hit up a concert at Levitt Pavillion.



It was super crowded, though, and the girls couldn't really see the stage at all, which was sad because there was a lot of dancing and stunts going on. We ended up leaving early and going to Sonic for cheese sticks. Which was also awesome, according to my children.

Sunday we went to church and then spent the rest of the day eating Chipotle and lazing around. I had the fleeting thought that I should Get Stuff Prepared For the Week, but then I realized that HAHA! I really don't need to spend my Sunday afternoons working like a crazy person during the summer. So I didn't! It was nice!




link-up!
link-up!

1 comment:

Proudly designed by Mlekoshi playground