Finding Our New Rhythm

Thursday, February 11, 2016

Tristan and I have been up and around a lot more this week, although we're still spending lots of time resting in bed. It's been nice to get up and get things done, even really little things! But I'm trying hard to resist the temptation of going full throttle just because I feel able. I'm becoming more and more convinced that this whole resting thing is vital for postpartum recovery...and my best evidence is the fact that I am really happy these days. Less than two weeks out from delivery, I always feel really crazy. Postpartum and happy is a totally new experience and I'm loving it! 


Sometimes he does this totally amazing thing where he sleeps in his swing and I get to be freeeeeee for a while. Sometimes a long while, like an HOUR!

Also? The first day I overdid it I definitely got a gnarly case of mastitis, and now I can tell for sure if I'm wearing myself out because the chills and aches come galloping back to knock me out of commission. Tristan and I went Out of the House yesterday morning, which was awesome, but I was pretty much toast by last night. By his 2 am feeding I was shaking uncontrollably and had to wake Aaron up to go warm up the rice heating pads for me. I decided that love is waking up out of a deep sleep to help your wife out, but Princess Bride style Twue Wuv is still calling her baby while you do so. He is seriously the best husband ever!


So our Target baby-wearing adventure was probably ill-advised...but it was so nice to get out for a while!

I do wish I could keep up my usual level of involvement with everything and everyone - I wish I could spend more time with the girls (and be more available to help them when I am with them - my hands are always full of baby!) and I wish I could be cooking more meals and getting more costumes made (the grammar school play is less than a month away, eek!) and things like that. I miss my classes, even though I know they are in AMAZING hands right now, even though I know I'm totally not ready to go back, and I'm going crazy being so uninvolved with basketball right now during THE PLAYOFFS. They have a huge important game tonight and I know perfectly well that a noisy gym is no place for less-than-two-week-old OR his sleep-deprived mother...but it's still killing me to not be there. Y'all pray for the team this evening! And the coach! And the coach's insane wife who will be sitting at home waiting on pins and needles!

But I've really accepted not only that I can't keep up my usual level of involvement in everything, but also that I shouldn't. And in accepting that, I'm able to relax and watch this beautiful process of slowly and gently incorporating a new person into our family. Everything gets broken down to be built up again, and that's okay, that's how it's supposed to be, I think. And everything still gets taken care of, just in different ways than usual. FOUR CHILDREN LATER and I'm finally able to be okay with this whole transition, everything-up-in-the-air stage of having a new baby!


Circe webinars still get participated in, sort of coherently.




Superbowls still get watched, although it's a little harder to hear the commercials




Valentines still get made, complete with worries that the boys will think this means we're in love with them. Followed by a list of boys we ARE in love with. Which is pretty much all the boys, so I'm not sure I see the problem.




Practice work still gets done, although not in the most timely or methodical manner. More like one big session once a week while the baby sort of sleeps.




And incessant demands of TAKE MY PICTURE LOOK AT ME! still get met. I think we're all surviving just fine!



6 comments:

  1. Congratulations on your newest arrival! He is adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on your newest arrival! He is adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rest in HIM and enjoy the very short time that your boy will be so small and needy. Knowing what I know now I think I would have spent more time just loving and staring at each child...because they grow up so quickly. Sme of the busy stuff overtakes the truly important. Just a wee bit of experience talking now. I would surely like to meet this little guy! Love you all!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rest in HIM and enjoy the very short time that your boy will be so small and needy. Knowing what I know now I think I would have spent more time just loving and staring at each child...because they grow up so quickly. Sme of the busy stuff overtakes the truly important. Just a wee bit of experience talking now. I would surely like to meet this little guy! Love you all!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I absolutely LOVE that you are taking the time to TRULY recover! I think that there are so many things in our lives that are all about pushing and doing all the things, and we are so out of balance. Body and mind need more rest. Keep rocking the resting and the soaking up that beautiful brand new baby!

    ReplyDelete

Proudly designed by Mlekoshi playground