Summertime Snapshots

Friday, June 17, 2016


Why is my baby in a laundry basket? How long can her hair stay in the same braid before it becomes permanent? How long has the clean laundry been sitting there, anyway? These are the sorts of pressing questions on my mind these days. This summer-time life is seriously wonderful! Blog updates are getting away from me more than I had envisioned, mostly because Tristan has declared a moratorium on sleep in any form. Is it a growth spurt? The four-month sleep regression? Early teething? yes. All at once, my friends. All at once. Which means that I am either a.) trying to coax him to sleep for longer than ten minutes during times I would ordinarily be free to write, or b.) wandering around blankly like a zombie, trying to remember simple English phrases and where I put my coffee mug. But luckily he's so cute that I can barely mind.


This too shall pass, y'all. I'm not worried about it, but all the rest of my time and energy is devoted to making sure the girls have fun. ALL OF THE FUN!

Last week we came home after a full day of swimming and theatre camp, only to see a street party in full swing in our neighborhood, complete with bouncy house. "Oh that's right, I forgot the street party was tonight." I exclaimed as we pulled into our driveway. "It looks like fun!" "Yeah, but Mama?" quoth Avalon. "I think we've already had enough fun for today." Score!
I'm not trying to run them ragged or anything (although hey, they are sleeping great these days!) I just want to fill them up. This week we started our weekly one-on-one Mama Dates. Tuesday mornings I take Phoebe to a storytime at the library just the two of us, Wednesday afternoons I take Avalon to ice skating lessons at the mall just the two of us, and Thursday mornings I take Lainey to reading lessons at my mom's house...just the two of us. And then we get Starbucks, you know, just to be sure I'm still awake enough to drive. Safety first! It's pretty much the best thing ever and I can already foresee trouble when the school year starts again and I can't do three of these dates a week. 

We're also hitting the neighborhood pool at LEAST three times a week...Avalon can now swim across it without floaties, which is pretty major. If you see her anytime in the near future she will definitely tell you all about it. Lainey and Phoebe are content to stick to their floaties for now, thankyouverymuch! Phoebe isn't even entirely sold on being in the water at all yet.




They "did" their Snow White play, writing, casting, costuming, directing, and performing the whole thing without help from any grown-ups (well, the roped Scotty into playing the Huntsman and Prince Charming, but he's still not sure if he counts as a grown-up) and they pulled it all off beautifully.





We played Messy Twister, which quickly devolved into a full-on paint war, solidifying our neighborhood status as That Crazy Family. Oh well.














Obviously Tristan didn't play...and he seemed a little bemused with the rest of us. Phoebe made it through exactly one Right Hand Yellow before she realized that Messy Twister was going to be, in fact, messy, and she was having none of that!


My niece was in town for a nice long visit and we basically stole her from my mom for a great big chunk of it, much to my children's delight. Which is why there is an extra small person in a lot of these pictures...we were confusing people all week with this. Especially when we still rocked matching outfits!


Bryan and Angela Douglas, the amazing drama team at Flint, put on a week-long intensive theatre camp, culminating in a theatre-in-the-park style performance of Robin Hood. It was CRAZY good and I was so thrilled that the girls got to have that experience. I was up there for part of the camp, throwing together some costumes, and I just couldn't get over how great the camp was. And how fabulous it was that like twenty of our Flint students are so in love with theatre now!








Phoebe was too young to participate...but...well. She's in a place where it seems like she's too little to do ANYTHING her sisters are doing, and she notices it. She had been feeling horribly left out all week, and the night before the last day of camp she had the saddest little breakdown, wailing despondently into my shoulder, "NOBODY WIKES PHOEBE!"
Yeah. Listen carefully, you can maybe still hear my heart breaking into tiny little pieces. I had a wee costume that fit her, and we thought maybe she could just wander around and contribute to the general atmosphere of the show...instead she did exactly what the rest of the little girls did, kind of perfectly. Everybody wiked Phoebe!

AAAAAND an abrupt end to this blog post because Tristan says so and he's the boss of me right now!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Proudly designed by Mlekoshi playground