Bookworms and Beaches and Babies, Oh My!

Friday, July 22, 2016

Tristan and I have been home from our Charleston adventure since Monday evening, but we had fun and it must be blogged! Regardless of the fact that if we're friends on Facebook you've probably already seen like, a hundred percent of these pictures! It doesn't matter! Just look at this delicious baby nerd of mine some more! Loooooook!



In a lot of ways it was kind of a crazy trip, what with room mix-ups and practically everyone in our group getting sick at different points, and trying to be all academic and focused while jiggling a five month old. But going on this trip was my birthday present from Aaron and I tried my best to enjoy every minute of it and not focus (ha! I think I probably whined more than the baby! THAT WAS MY BEST, OK I'M JUST WHINY ITS HOW I COPE) on annoying things sinus infections and sleep deprivation. And it was very enjoyable! 

I know it was definitely impractical, but I just couldn't stand the thought of leaving Tristan for a week. He flew like a champ again, really only fussing while my mom and I worked on getting him and all of our stuff situated before take-offs. And seriously? Traveling with a charming, flirtatious little baby is the best. My child looooooves people, and he turns on this grin that could light up a small town, melting hearts every which way. I'm reasonably certain that his smile is the reason we managed to get switched at the gate to a more convenient flight home. Totally made up for having to be THOROUGHLY patted down because I didn't want security opening up his pre-made formula.




We had some extra time in Charleston, which is so, so gorgeous. And humid! I thought I was plenty used to heat, living in Texas and all, but yeesh. Walking around downtown and looking at all those amazing Colonial-era buildings, I was a little bit in awe of the fact that people used to live in them without AC. And they wore lots and lots more clothes. Just...how?





Crazily, Jill and her family happened to be in Charleston the same week! When we realized this (thank you, Facebook!) we met up for coffee and let the boys play (read: babble and try to grab each others heads) while we fit four months worth of conversation into an hour and a half. It was awesome. 




The conference itself was Thursday, Friday, and Saturday. The theme this year was Home, which was perfect! I felt awfully stressed out on the first day because I didn't want Tristan to disturb anyone and I kept having to whisk him out (or pass him off to my mom) and listen to the talks from the foyer. I kept feeling guilty for every squawk he made AND every word that I missed, which didn't leave me any options, exactly. Then I remembered that I came here for FUN and should just enjoy the bits that I could hear and not worry about the rest. Much better that way, and I learned a lot in those bits and pieces anyway!
The third year apprentices had our graduation at the banquet on Friday night. I can't believe I'm officially finished with this program! I was so scared to attempt it and it's been just the best thing in the world for me. I've learned so much and connected with such wonderful people...and edged out of my cozy little comfort zone quite a bit at the same time!




After the conference ended a bunch of us headed out to a condo on one of the islands near Charleston for some beach R and R. I was so worn out from being sick and trying to make sure Tristan was well-behaved and everything that when we arrived I absolutely crashed. My mom took Tristan to the beach and I took a heavenly, glorious nap. I woke up a million hours later, the best kind of disoriented because where am I...hey, there's the ocean!



Actually, that kind of set the tone for the beach portion of the trip...I think I napped every time the baby did!



But we also spent plenty of time out by the water, and relaxing with some of my very favorite people. It was lovely!







And then we flew home and thanks to Tristan and his charming ways we got back hours and hours earlier than planned so I got to spend time with my baby girls before scrubbing them thoroughly ("Did you take plenty of baths while I was gone? Did you brush your teeth every day?" "Nope! Daddy didn't make us!" "OH YES I DID!") and tucking them in bed. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Proudly designed by Mlekoshi playground